Thursday, March 14, 2013

Sunblock, fleas, and profound thoughts


Sunblock, fleas, and profound thoughts        3-4-13

I am no guero. I'm a crab--the sun makes me so. Ni importa si tengo mi bloqueador...
(nor does it matter if I have my blocker[sunblock] ) but no only a little.
On the days I forget sunblock we try really hard to get in someone’s door. :o)
I am understanding most people now. Only a few people who talk 2x faster than everyone
else are the ones I don't understand. There's this whole member family that talks a million
words per second, and I just nod my head and watch his hand movements.  Oh, or I look
at their mouth if they’re missing teeth. 

No problem with the “Jon method”.  I've applied it to missionary work as well.  It
involves smiling all day and talking about how rad the spirit is. I am not so good
with doctrine, but it comes naturally to be on their side and help them see different
points of view.

Yup. Fleas. These things jump a million feet.  I got a bite on the middle of my palm,
which makes no sense, but it’s the first one that's actually hurt more than it itched. It’s
still there but healing.  I’m throwing them in the toilet from now on.  I don’t realize
I’ve been scratching them at night.  I don’t have any Benadryl, but every apartment
has some hydrocortisone which doesn’t seem to help.

Missionary work: Slow this week.  I have a new companion, and thank goodness
he speaks English. He's from Los Angeles. And if you want to know who to compare him
to, just imagine Elder Sch-. They're basically twins, only my compy is shorter
I think. 

Speaking of spoiled rotten dark people in white houses, I heard some more negative news
from tourists in Vina. It doesn't matter if you want to hear or not, they're going to talk about
him. It was hilarious, and I shared how Romney always prayed before all his debates. They
had to get on a bus, so I couldn't give them anything, but I realized that times like that you
can testify! Why can't missionaries talk about Governmental matters?

New stuff: I have decided that I'm against palta and tomate. Didn't I already say this?
I am getting super tired recently. I think it's the hills.
Maybe I'll send home one of those giant fleas that 50 ants attack at once and take down. They're
as big as a marble.
In case you're wondering, I'm shivering right now... thinking about those things. I think that's one
of my biggest fears now.  I'll see what I can do about sending home a box from here. Esperanza
doesn't really have much for tourism, except the views. 

Of course I've had some poetic and profound thoughts. here's 2 of them.
1. Heavenly Father ALWAYS gives us signs but sometimes, they cannot be seen;
They are in our hearts.  "Thou shalt not fear."
2. A prophet wouldn't have called you if you weren't ready; Give EVERYTHING you are, and
everything you can be and here's one more from my first intercambio [exchange]...
3. Christ doesn't keep secrets. That's why we have The Gospel, and that's why we preach it. Some
people just don't want to see when they look and listen & when they hear.  
I don't exactly have a choice if I feel like doing poetry. I sing in the street whatever comes to
mind. I love it.  Yesterday I was told that I'm always wearing a smile. I find that to be a sign
that I'm doing alright. :)

I have 10 minutes left to write my emails. I want to express myself openly for a little bit about
things I considered when talking to people in the street and sharing the gospel:

Saturday we talked to a lot of people. We talked to 14 people in 6 hours [just of people as we
are walking from our "Appointments"] - Several times, we were told "I already have my religion.
I'm ____".  Often we laugh inside and say, "Yes, and I'm ____". 
But I started to consider:  What does the bible say about it? What does the Savior say to do?
In the new testament, He wants us to share the gospel and especially wants everyone to know that
 he IS The Christ.  So in essence, yes, all religions are good.   So why are we focusing as LDS
missionaries on everyone, and not just the people who don't know Christ?  How important IS
this gospel anyway?  Has it blessed my life enough to stop caring about what people think and
just do what I know and feel is right?

That night I finally visited a house that for the past 6 weeks I have been getting a small feeling
to visit, but Elder H was walking too fast to keep up.  It turns out it was the daughter of a member
we ate lunch with the mom just the day before... and talked about the house, in fact she even pointed
at it at lunch. But I forgot about that and knocked on the door. I prayed really hard that I would say
the words that Heavenly Father put into my head.  She opened the door and we talked about her
family, pointed behind us, and I thought wow, I'm stupid. of  course we know who her member mom
is.  But she said,  "Diga me". [Tell me.]  So I did.
I expressed myself in very clear Spanish that The Book of Mormon has changed my life, and that
I want her to have the book. I explained a little of my testimony of strength through it and the Gospel. 
Without hesitation, I explained that it was a sacred book, and very important. We wouldn't want to
give it to someone if they aren't going to read it.  She said "Then keep it." --and very kindly we
finished talking and said our goodbyes.  Maybe it was the right words to say. Maybe it was exactly
what she needed to hear.  But still I look back on everything in my life and consider how selfish I
have been not to share the gospel with these people, perhaps thinking that it is too sacred, or that
they aren't going to accept it, or whatever excuse it is that we make to ourselves.  I don't want to
do that anymore. It cut me pretty deep, and I keep thinking back on it.

I don't have any more time, so I just want you all to think about that. 
How often do we keep our mouths shut and NOT share this Gospel? A lit candle shouldn't be hid.
And frankly, why would we want to? What's the purpose of having such blessings and not helping
other's unlit candles help give us more light?  Please don't fall into this trap. Just think "How would
my life be without the Gospel?"  Then think of everyone else... who is without.

I love you all. 
Never forget that. 
Heavenly Father loves you.
Never forget that.
You won't ever stop
          being worth it to Him...
--so you are never insignificant.
Never forget that.

-Elder Cattron

No comments:

Post a Comment