Saturday, June 1, 2013

A gentle feeling started to enter my chest

5-13-2013   
Dad,  Thank you for the letter and thoughts.  I will keep it in mind and try to remember it whenever I am walking in the street looking for people.
One contact we taught finished the discussions but we had to send him to the other missionaries where he went.   I read that scripture every once in a while and realize as we do the work the Lord blesses us.
My pants are okay…I’ll just deal with it I suppose.  Haha.   (weightloss)
The Bread, even the “worst” kind is super good.    There are breads that are like French bread from Super 1 and the others are awesome cracker looking breads that work perfectly with Salsa and Dipping things.
Dog bites…if you are talking about the missionaries, we have to get a bunch of shots.  But the owner has to pay money and is always in the wrong even if the person was teasing or putting their face in the dog’s face and “asking” to get bit for it.
Tr----Chile is still a boiling mixing melting pot of people.  A lot of people I talk to say that I’m tall –and beautiful, but we all know that’s because I’m American and they all think Americans are beautiful.  The girls in the street actually call the missionaries “Bon o Bones” like the candy (Bon o Bons), and the humor comes from that whole…completely true Bonito aspect.
Some Senior missionaries here have to deal with finding new apartments or closing apartments of missionaries.   I say “deal with” because a lot of missionaries do a lot of things without thinking, like using tape on the wallpaper…we all know what happens with that.
Fleas are ok-ish.  I’m still frustrated with them, but I’m just figuring out how to ignore them.  I would like to try the flea powder thing, but our DL says we only have issues because we have carpet instead of a hard floor.
I did have a blister at one point but the moleskin worked for 3-4 days.  It’s calloused now.
My health is ok.  Recently I’ve been feeling slightly light headed for no reason, but I think I just need to drink more water (?)   I also feel like I’m just complaining as I battle the “natural man’s desire” to just sit down on a couch.
[From Mom’s letter:  “Some thought that came into my mind today when I was listening to you.   I think you were expressing that you have started to “forget” what it’s like to be back home.  Maybe you didn’t say that but I thought I heard it.  My answer to that is “Don’t worry about forgetting about home.”  It’s okay.”  So, don’t worry about forgetting home and what it’s like to be there.  It will take care of itself.  Just enjoy the time while you are out there.  You have been given a privilege and great opportunity to take a “time out” and devote yourself to serving God , serving the Chileans and serving your future self.  And we are proud of you.  Time flies doesn’t it!   And you have been gone 6 months!   I can’t believe it—can you?]  
Thank you Mom. You're right, I didn't say that, but that is one of the things on my mind.  I'm not a person to get homesick, but I am a person to get distracted.  I wish I could do better at focusing in every moment.  SIX MONTHS? November, December, January, February, March, April, May... What in the world? I keep on telling everyone here 4 months whenever we talk about how long I've been in Chile. I didn't remember until just now that I was also in the MTC for 2 of them. Wow. Missions go even faster than I was thinking when I said that.
I have 5 minutes. I want to share a thought really quick.  This is a journal entry I wrote about 3 days ago:  "I think today we woke up 12 minutes late, realizing the alarm clock didn't go off.  It was very sad.  We want to be obedient, and we're just hurting ourselves and our investigators when we're not.  I spent most of that morning feeling terrible for such a small crime, but a big one as a missionary...  But then we started studies.   I was 12 minutes late to those also.  Rushed and feeling terrible, and repenting silently, I got down on my knees.   Everything Changed.  I started thinking of the Savior. Walking with Him.  A gentle feeling started to enter my chest and even down my spine. With several minutes passing by, I saw more and more blessings sneaking into my eyes as I prayed with my eyes partially open.  My nametag.  "... I couldn't have done it without The Savior's help, and the power of prayer.  Then pictures of my family brought my attention. Where would I be without them? Where would I be without their examples and love in my life?  Even now, where everything seems so simple, I wouldn't be able to have this..."  "...I want to serve with that same strength. I want to give my all... and it's hard.  But I know I can do it.   I've seen it once before.   Todo es posible..."   I love you all. Pray lots this week and seek that guidance that only our Father in Heaven can provide. 

Work hard everyone. Don't forget to smile :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment